Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Weekend Wrap-Up, Blog Linkage, Coconut Pound Cake, Pinterest Stuff (April Fool's Day Gags)

Good Tuesday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - How to Make a Chick Cringe - When the kids were very small, I was a walking, talking Kleenex tissue. The bottom of my shirt and/or skirt had all sorts of food particles, mucus and just plain ol' mud, dirt and grime on them at the end of any given day.

My lap was also an adequate substitution for a waste can or toilet if the urge to throw up overcame them at any time, day or night.

And my hair... Well, my hair became whatever my little kiddos needed it to be. (Roxie was notorious for twisting my BANGS into tight, pointy ringlets as she sucked her thumb and patiently waited for Bro. Steve to finish his sermon. The books called this "self-soothing." I called it, "What's the use?")

If I were talking to a group of Moms, whether at church, in the park or at the grocery store, these random acts of cringe-worthy behaviors took place. It didn't matter that I was surrounded by my peers.

Basically, I had to learn to "get over it."

But now, it would appear the shoe is on the other foot.

I, the Maternal Unit, have the power to make my Chick cringe, shudder and turn all shades of red... just by doing one or more of the following:

1. Breathing.

Not heavy breathing. Not audible sighing. Just your basic oxygen in and carbon monoxide out kind of breathing.

2. Making eye contact in public.

3. Waving across a crowded room.

4. Calling out the Chick's name in any room, crowded or otherwise.

5. Actually touching any part of the Chick's body (hair, shoulder, arm, etc.) when peers are nearby.

The above is just the normal, everyday stuff. It is going to happen at some point in the relationship of the Chick/Maternal Unit.

It cannot be helped.

The following could possibly be avoided, but doesn't have to be if you feel the need to "get back at them every now and again" because they've turned your hair gray, destroyed your body during childbirth OR you're just one of those "button-pushing" Moms... kinda like me.

6. Pulling up beside them in your car with your windows down rocking out to Barry Manilow.

7. Wearing an old Tigger sweatshirt in public to run a quick errand because the garment is warm AND clean at the same time.

8. Calling your child a nickname (Pookie, Babe, Chick-a-Lick, Sweet-ums, etc.) within hearing range of peers.

9. Calling your child's peers a nickname (Pookie, Babe, Chick-a-Lick, Sweet-ums, etc.).

10. Asking the lady at the table next to you in a restaurant what she is eating. (I'm telling you... This one is grounds for parent/child divorce!)

11. Talking to someone's baby in the check-out line at the grocery store, and then asking the Mom about baby facts. (How much did he weigh? What's his name? Does he get that curly hair from his Daddy?)

Don't be surprised when your chick starts digging in your purse for the keys to the Big Gold Van because she certainly isn't going to stay in the store with you and your new "baby" friend.

I'll be honest with you. This list could go on forever, but during the last few months, I have noticed a definite reduction in the amount of visible shuddering, cringing and redness taking place around the house...

And I must say, I am uber-excited.

(Oh, yeah. If you use "uber" in a sentence it will also cause the shudder, cringe and redness I've described above.)

My excitement stems from the obvious. My Pookie, Babe, Chick-a-Lick is beginning to accept me for who and what I am. A Mom whose kids are growing up, up and away.

And while the transition may not be as messy as being a walking/talking Kleenex tissue, it will one day come to an end.

And lucky me!

I can see the light at the end of the UBER-tunnel!

RANDOMNESS #2 - I took some really pretty pictures of Brad and Stephanie this past Sunday, and I hope to post a few of them on Friday. I dropped them off with my sister last night, and Stephanie and Brad cannot look through them until this afternoon.

And in all fairness, they should get to see them first.

Right?

Right.

In lieu of the engagement pics, enjoy the flowers!





RANDOMNESS #3 - Best April Fool's Day Gag - My best April Fool's Day gag EVER took place many, many years ago when the kids were all in preschool or elementary school.

On March 31, after everyone was in bed, I put a roast, potatoes and carrots into the slow cooker. The meal cooked all night long, so when we woke up on a weekday morning, the house was filled with that Sunday dinner smell.

The kids came down for breakfast, and I had the table completely set with the roast beef on a platter and the vegetables and rolls in serving dishes.

The kids were completely befuddled and speechless.

They said they couldn't eat roast beef first thing in the morning because it would make them sick.

And they ended up eating a couple of rolls before heading off to school because it was all just "too weird."

All of this took place with many explanations and exclamations of "April Fool's Day."

They didn't appreciate the humor.

Later that night when we all sat down to dinner and there were five bowls, three varieties of cereal and a jug-o-milk in the middle of the table...

Well, let's just say they didn't appreciate the humor in that part of April Fool's Day either.

Blog Linkage

1. Go to www.kellehampton.com and read yesterday's blog entitled, "Good in the Trenches." Very enjoyable.

2. If you haven't checked it out lately, go to www.bluelilyphotography.com and enjoy the words and pictures. Just spend a little time and catch up with this family.

3. Go to The Dating Divas under My Blog List and click on today's post entitled, "Ultimate Dining Adventure Date." So much fun!

READ THE ENTIRE POST! DO NOT STOP IN THE MIDDLE!

4. Go to Big Mama under My Blog List and read today's instructional post entitled, "The non-definitive guide to a summer road trip."

Amen...

And amen!

Coconut Pound Cake

I made this cake last week while Austin was home. (He's the coconut lover in our family.)

It's a good cake. It isn't too, too sweet and you start the recipe with a cake mix. LOVE THAT!

You will need the following:

1 package Duncan Hines Signature French Vanilla Cake Mix
1 package (3.4 ounces) coconut cream instant pudding and pie filling
1 cup coconut milk
4 large eggs
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup Duncan Hines Creamy Home-Style Classic Vanilla Frosting
Additional coconut

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan.

2. Combine cake mix, pudding, coconut milk, eggs, water and oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in coconut. Pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes, Invert onto serving plate.

4. Place frosting in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 10 to 15 seconds. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with additional coconut, if desired.

Pinterest Stuff

April's Fool Gags

In reality, these should have been posted on Friday, but feel free to put the ideas in your April Fool's Day file folder for next year.

I know you have one!

Frozen Cereal

Freeze their cereal and milk in the bowl the night before, and watch as they try to eat it in the morning.

Muffins With a Surprise

Bake muffins with a piece of hotdog or broccoli cooked inside. (My kids are muffin-eaters. I am so doing this next year.)

Really, Really Cold Cereal

Put water in a cereal bowl and freeze overnight. The next morning, offer to fix Dad or your kids a bowl of cereal. Pour the cereal on top of the ice, completely covering it, and watch them try to dig in.

Chain Reaction

Sneak into Daddy's underwear drawer and safety pin all of his undies together side by side. When he pulls out one pair, they all come out!

Have a lovely Spring week. I'll be back Friday with a few of the engagement pics, a couple of Air Walk pics (Roxie's photos... not mine), Easter ideas and Weekend Happenings.

Take care, and I'll talk to you the end of the week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter