Friday, July 11, 2014

Weekend Happenings, Lemon Blueberry Pie, Way Back When... (School Binder Decorating Party), Restaurant Review (The Freight House)

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Bev and her family are at the beach this week...

And while our family is going in the not so distant future, I kinda already want to be there, if you know what I mean.

Here are few pictures from our trip last year (just me and Mikie) to hold me over until we get to go on the 2014 beach trip!








It will be here before I know it!

RANDOMNESS #2 - I wanted to give everyone a Mikie Update. He is still doing so well. He stayed home from work through Tuesday (just like the doctor instructed) and returned to work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week for three or four hours each day.

He comes home tired, but he bounces back quickly.

He is clean shaven (which is very nice), and every day he appears to be a little stronger.

RANDOMNESS #3 - Wedding News - The Showers are coming! The Showers are coming!

It's getting to be that time. We'll be having some sweet parties during the next three months or so. It is very, very exciting.

The guys are getting fitted tomorrow and Sunday.

The girls already have their dresses hanging and ready to go.

My dress choice is still not finalized, but I'm getting there. (I promise I won't walk down the aisle in jeans and comfy shoes!)

I'll have more to share picture-wise, news wise, etc. as we get closer to THE date.

October 25 is going to be here before you know it!

RANDOMNESS #4 - Restaurant Review - The Freight House in Hartselle, Alabama - Mike did so well during his recovery, I was actually only in charge of one or two things.

I had to make sure he walked three times a day.

And I had to make sure he didn't go stir crazy in the house until he could drive again.

Until Tuesday, our walks were around the neighborhood, and our time away from the house was spent at Walmart (his choice), BAM (my choice) and a Target run. I even let him go to Sunday School... but not the church service.

All in all, it has gone smoothly, but he actually wanted our "trip" out of the house Tuesday to be MORE.

MORE distance.

MORE fun.

MORE different than Gardendale.

So we headed to Hartselle, Alabama, a mere 56-minute drive from The Dale.

Melia and Austin have been several times, and Melia had told me I would really enjoy The Freight House.

What can I say?

Melia knows me well.

The Freight House is located RIGHT BESIDE the very active train tracks in Hartselle and it is a mixture of old, new and comfortable...

And the food ain't bad either!





I ordered the Chicken Salad Plate with Cranberry and Pasta Salads. The chicken salad was excellent. They use apples instead of grapes. (I like either.)

The Cranberry Salad was made exactly the way cranberries should always be served... with cream cheese and marshmallow fluff.

The Pasta Salad was light, flavorful and I could have eaten another serving easily.

Mike ordered one of the specials... Meatloaf, Pinto Beans, Mashed Potatoes and Roll. He said the pinto beans were some of the best he had ever eaten, and he cleaned his plate.

I ordered the Strawberry Cake for dessert and Mike had the Buttermilk Pie. Both were served warm... and they were so, so good.

I'm going back.

I'm going to try some different things.

And then I'm going to plan another trip a few weeks later.

It is well worth the drive.







You know you're in a cool town when you find a giant rooster just standing on the corner.


Do y'all remember the Andy Griffith episode when the townspeople repaired the bandstand in the middle of town so they could enjoy a Sunday evening summer concert?

Do you?

Well, they have one of those in Hartselle.

And it doesn't need any major repairs.


I loved the dessert menu.

Check it out.

The kids get to ice and decorate their own train cookie for dessert.

You can also order something called the Brownie Train-Wreck.

Is it just me, or does that sound like it could possibly be one of the best things on the planet?

When you finish eating at The Freight House, Main Street is full of antique shops, gift shops, sandwich shops, specialty shops, etc.

It is a great place to spend some time with your fella or your gals.

Lemon Blueberry Pie

A couple of weeks ago, I posted the Pioneer Woman's Key Lime Pie recipe.

Since that time, someone gave me some really pretty blueberries. Since my family doesn't just eat blueberries on their own, I wanted to put them into something delicious.

That is where the Key Lime Pie recipe came into play.

I tweaked it!

You will need the following:

18 whole graham crackers (the 4-section large pieces)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 whole egg yolks
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 container Cool Whip

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. For the crust, crush crackers in a food processor or Ziploc bag. Pour them into a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter. Press into a pie pan and bake for 5 minutes or until golden and set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.

3. For the filling, mix lemon juice and egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Add in condensed milk and mix on high until smooth and thick.

4. Fold in 1 cup of blueberries and 1/2 container of Cool Whip.

5. Pour mixture into crust and bake for 15 minutes.

6. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour or more if possible.

7. Top with remaining Cool Whip.

This is a smooth, creamy lemon pie. Not too tart. The blueberries add a little color AND a little burst of flavor.

Very, very good.

Way Back When...

This party idea was originally posted July 2009.

School Binder Decorating Party

I don't know if this is something the whole country participates in, but the middle school girls in our little section of the world love to decorate their three-ring binders with pictures, scrapbook paper, artwork, etc. This year, I'm inviting a few of Roxie's friends over for an evening of School Binder Decorating. It will be a party because there will be food AND music.

First, every girl will be responsible for bringing their own binders and personal pictures. I'll supply markers, card stock, stickers, sticker letters, etc., etc. for their use. While they decorate, they can munch on finger sandwiches, chips and salsa and choose from a cooler of assorted beverages. They can take as much uninterrupted time as they like.

When they are finished with the decorations, I will give each of them a small piece of paper to add to the front or back of each of their binders. The papers will have Proverbs 17:17, "A friend loves at all times," written on them. This will serve as a little reminder of what a real friend is "supposed" to do during the tough middle school years.

When the binders are completely finished, we will have a "Make Your Own Sundae" bar with ice cream, bananas, cherries, chocolate syrup, caramel, crushed nuts, crushed candies, etc., etc. for them to feast upon.

The party will end with a prayer for each and every girl asking for God's protection and blessing this coming 7th grade year.

I'm planning the party in July because it will take a while to get everyone's schedule coordinated so the majority of the girls will be able to attend. I'll let you know how this one turns out!

Weekend Happenings

1. Mikie will be home for most of the weekend. Our only plan is a trip to Peach Park in Clanton. Mike said he told me he wanted to go there for his birthday in June, but I somehow totally missed out on that information. I have no recollection of the request, or Peach Park is where we would have gone!

I don't know if we'll go Saturday or Sunday.

I don't know if we'll go by ourselves or with a kid/adult or two or three.

I just know Mikie wants some peach ice cream, and I'm gonna make sure he gets some!

2. Both of my guys are working during the day today, so I don't know what they have going on tonight.

3. Roxie is off today, but she is working tonight.

4. Same with Saturday. I do not have everyone's schedule, so I am clueless as to the comings and goings of my household.

Except for the trying on of men's attire for the wedding. Austin is meeting guys Saturday and Sunday to get all of that handled.

5. We're planning on attending church Sunday morning, and eating Sunday lunch. Right now, I'm thinking shrimp, but that could change very easily depending on my mood.

Have a spectacular weekend. I'll be back Tuesday with a full report of all of the goings-on of family and friends.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

P.S. Sparkle has been a little under the weather this week. She doesn't feel very well, but she is still super sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter