Friday, September 5, 2014

I'm Going on a Day Trip, People...

Good Friday morning!

Mikie and I are heading out the door for a little day trip.

I'm leaving you with some Way Back When AND some lovely September 2013 pics.

You'll get September 2014 pics Tuesday... I promise.








Way Back When...

These items were first posted in September of 2009

A technician came and set up a new TV "box" in our bedroom and our family room. Then he called me from the kitchen and he was holding (GASP!) a new remote control. Great. I had never learned to use the old one except to turn the TV on and off. Inwardly, I moaned. Outwardly, I tried to put on my "I-am-a-techno-savvy-intelligent-individual" face really, really quick, but I think he saw me grimace when I saw the new remote.

"Okay. This is all you have to do," he began, holding the 400-button remote out for me to see. He quickly began pushing button after button after button. Sweat started forming on my upper lip.

"I'm sorry. Did you already tell me where the On/Off button was located?" I asked.

Short pause. "Here. The large red button on top that says 'Power' is your On/Off button."

Great. I had already used the wrong lingo. Obviously On/Off is no longer acceptable. I started glazing over (which is what I tend to do during anything techno-related) when I noticed the show on the TV was rewinding. "What's that? What are you doing? Is that a tape?" I asked, suddenly curious.

"You mean DVD, and no. It isn't a DVD. It's the actual program. You can rewind or pause to go to the bathroom and come back and not miss any of your show."

I ignored the tape/DVD correction (another lingo problem). "I've heard people talk about being able to do that with that TiVo thing," I said, hoping I was using the correct word and it wasn't DiVo or TiRo or something similar.

"That's what this is," he said, no longer even looking at me.

"That means we can record a whole season of our favorite show just by telling it what we want," I was getting it now.

"That is correct."

All right. I knew what to do now. I looked at the TV and said in a very authoritative tone, "Survivor... All Episodes." I looked at him and grinned.

Mouth slightly drooping, he stared at me. "It isn't voice activated. You have to use the remote."

"I knew that," I lied. And then I had to stand there while he gave me a 15-minute tutorial of how to record a season of episodes. When it was over, I asked him weakly, "Is there an instruction booklet... and a tape, I mean a DVD, to refer to if I happen to forget something (Code for EVERYTHING)?"

He left me a LOT of booklets AND a DVD for Mikie to read and watch... and one day in the near future (September 17, 2009), Mikie will be able to TiVo or DiVo or UhOh our favorite show. Something to look forward to!

NOTE - I still only use THE ON/OFF BUTTON.

Topic of the Day - The Tongue

Now you're probably thinking we're going to talk about how powerful the tongue is and how easy it is to say the wrong thing... you know, the two-edged sword thing. Sorry. That's not it either.

I was just thinking if we used our tongue for good (instead of evil), how great that would be. I made a list of ten things to say to someone who's hurting for whatever reason. I know many people don't say anything to hurting people because they are afraid it will cause more pain, so the following list might help.

1. I'm so sorry.

2. I love you.

3. Can I bring dinner next Tuesday? (Always make it specific. "Can I bring dinner sometime?" usually gets lost in busyness and never makes it to the dinner table.)

4. How is (FILL IN THE BLANK)?

5. How are YOU feeling?

6. Would you like to have lunch next Wednesday... my treat? (Again, make it specific.)

7. Can I keep you company in the waiting room for a little while tomorrow?

8. I made extra muffins for breakfast tomorrow. Can I bring some by for you and your family? I won't stay. I'll just drop them off.

9. I have no idea how you feel, but I'll be glad to listen any time. Can I call you tomorrow? (If someone is hurting, for whatever reason, they usually don't need to hear other sad stories. They just need to talk.)

10. I'm praying for you. (And then really pray for them.)

I've always heard people say (and I've been one of them many, many times), "I don't know what to say," or "I'm afraid I'll make them cry." Well, depending on how well you know the person, you can pick any one of the above and not have to worry about offending or hurting anyone.

And as far as the crying thing goes, it doesn't have to be because you said the wrong thing. If you tell someone you love them or you're sorry and they cry, it isn't because of something you said... it's because they are incredibly sad. Crying is a natural release. Everyone has cried at one time or another in their lives.

It is very difficult to talk to a person who is hurting. It takes most of us out of our comfort zone, and if you are like me, that's not somewhere you want to be... EVER! I like my comfort zone very, very much.

But it is necessary. It is important. And someday, if we all live long enough, we'll need people to say one of the ten things listed above to us.

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18.

I'll be back Tuesday with pics and info from our Day Trip.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

Site Meter