Friday, September 12, 2014

Weekend Happenings, Stuffed Honey-Ham Biscuits, Way Back When... (Another Football Story AND Let's Make a Memory)

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Wedding News - Okay. Here is the latest update in list form.

1. I have my Mother of the Groom Dress.

2. I do not have my Mother of the Groom Shoes.

3. Or Mother of the Groom Foundation Garments. (Don't laugh. These are more important than the dress!)

4. Roxie's bridesmaid dress had to be sent back for a little fixin', and as of this writing, we do not have it in our possession. (No worries. We still have plenty of time!)

5. Austin and Melia are narrowing their search for a place to live.

6. Except for the one, two or 43 minor details that still need to be taken care of, the Rehearsal Dinner planning is almost done.

7. I can't believe it is almost upon us...

And people who love me most have asked me to stop pointing this fact out every ten minutes or so.

RANDOMNESS #2 - It has been a week of no photos, so I've pulled MORE from last September's stash...


Mikie told me the other day he was ready for cool weather and Pepper Place...


And I totally agree.


Katie and Roxie.


Uncle Guy, Aunt Becky, Grandma, Roxie and Grandpa at her 17th Birthday Celebration last year.


Melia and Roxie.


I've posted this one several times, but I think it is so sweet. Zac and Roxie.


I call this "Random Pumpkins."


Mike, Aunt Becky, Grandpa, Grandma, Josh and Uncle Guy.

For a reason I cannot remember now, we had Josh's 20th Birthday Celebration at the very end of September instead of the beginning of October. (He must have been going to an Auburn football game on his actual birthday.)


Austin, Josh, Melia and a surprise visit from Mike.


Roxie and Josh.

Stuffed Honey-Ham Biscuits

1 can Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers biscuits
8 slices Swiss cheese
8 slices deli cooked ham
1/4 cup honey

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.

2. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Cut slit on 1 side of 1 biscuit, forming a deep pocket. Place 1 slice of cheese inside pocket. Top cheese with 1 slice of ham and 1 teaspoon honey.

3. Press dough over filling, sealing edge of biscuit. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining biscuits, cheese, ham and honey.

4. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to serving plate. Drizzle remaining honey over tops. Serve immediately.

I made these Wednesday night. Some people ate them before church. Some people ate them after church. Some people ate them after work. Some people put them in their lunchbox the next day.

Big, big hit!

Way Back When...

This was first posted in September of 2009.

Another Football Story

I really shouldn't call this a football story. It's just an odd little coincidence that took place during one of the boys' football parties at the lot located at the end of our street.

It was one of the first football parties we ever had, and I was nervous about someone getting hurt. However, I knew it was the MOST uncool thing in the world for two teenage boys' mother to sit in a camp chair on the corner of the lot watching the boys play.

Everything would have been just fine if it had not been for the large wooden fence one neighbor had put around their pool. It completely blocked the view of the lot from our deck. If I stood on the deck, I could make out one or two heads (of the tallest guys), and I could occasionally see the football being lobbed from one side of the lot to the other, and I could faintly hear the shouts of the boys... but it was sometimes difficult to tell if they were happy or angry.

What's a good, non-meddling mother of teenage boys to do? Well, any self-respecting woman would stand in the middle of her wrought iron deck table with her hands on her hips and feet slightly spread apart for balance to see more clearly... and yet not be seen by any of the boys. (Hey! It was that or climb the magnolia tree... but I couldn't get my leg up to the first branch!)

So, there I was standing on my deck table watching inconspicuously when I noticed my across-the-street neighbor on top of his house checking out his new roof. (Did I mention this was around the same time everyone was getting new roofs put on because of the tornado that ripped through our neighborhood? Sorry. It was around that same time.) I only mention it because it explains why yet another neighbor was on his roof at that same time, also.

Unfortunately for the real estate agent who had decided to show the house with the pool which had the wooden fence around it (beside the lot where the boys were playing), the three of us were all standing on our respective houses (or deck tables) looking toward the horizon... or from where they were standing, looking directly at the house they were contemplating buying.

In only a matter of minutes, the potential buyers and irate real estate agent left the house never to return. (The potential buyers... not the real estate agent.) I suppose it looked a little odd to the average citizen, but it wasn't until much later that it occurred to me how strange our little neighborhood must have seemed.

I always wonder what kind of neighbors they might have been. Would they have let us swim in their pool? Would they have been our new best friends? We'll never know. Ahh. Just one of those little "what ifs" that makes life interesting!

Let's Make a Memory

"We believe that special moments don't just happen; they have to be planned on PURPOSE! In this hectic world when the pace at which we all live is so frantic, we as families must make a covenant with each other to make time for simple things. Please hear me now! Special moments won't just happen. Beautiful memories of yesterdays were once moments of todays. We have no guarantees of tomorrows, but we do have this moment.

"The home is the natural habitat for growing human beings and shaping eternal souls. Whether we like it or not, we are molding lives... now. Let's make these precious moments count. Let's make a memory!"

The above was taken from Let's Make a Memory, and it is a quote form Gloria Gaither's testimony in the front of the book.

WOW! Is it just me, or did you get goosebumps when you read, "The home is the natural habitat for growing human beings and shaping eternal souls." Not the locker room, not a friend's house... "The home is the natural habitat... ." There is nothing wrong with the other places. But nothing is going to beat HOME day in/day out when it comes to teaching our own kids about God.

When you put it like that, our job description as mothers is not only all-important, but we have to fight, fight, fight to make sure we carve out the time to perform and finish our jobs successfully. Outside influences try to make this impossible... whether the influences are too many sports' activities, church activities, etc.

Choose wisely what activities you and your family will participate.

Do not feel guilty for NOT doing everything that is offered.

PRAYERFULLY consider what God wants for you and your family.

Spend MORE time making moments that count... not just for family, but for the Kingdom of God.

Weekend Happenings

1. Mike and I are attending a wedding this evening. My friend, Cam, has a daughter (Peyton) and she is marrying her best friend (Zack).

This is Cam's THIRD wedding as a Mother of the Bride/Groom, so she can now be considered a Professional Mother of the Bride/Groom.

(I am just an amateur because this is my first time as a Mother of the Groom. I have no prior experience except for my own wedding 26 years ago.)

In other words, I know nothing.

I cannot wait until this evening. The previous weddings I've attended with Cam as a Mother of "Something" have both been so beautiful, and I have no doubt tonight will be beyond special, too.

2. The Chick is taking the ACT one more time Saturday morning, and then I expect she will do something "fun" the latter part of her Saturday.

In fact, I KNOW she will.

3. Austin and Melia will be doing the apartment hunting "thing."

4. Josh will be doing the ride-along "thing" with a different police officer Saturday afternoon. This will be the first Saturday he has worked, and I'm hoping everyone in the general vicinity (100-mile radius) of Josh will be very law-abiding and pleasant during his five-hour ride.

5. After church on Sunday, we were supposed to go to AirWalk with Roxie, The Brothers, The Cousins and The Fiances' for a big 18th Birthday Blow-Out for The Chick.

But, guess what?

AirWalk is closed on Sundays.

Guess what else?

Roxie has worked SO hard to make sure everyone (The Brothers, The Cousins AND The Fiances') could be in attendance on Sunday.

That is no small feat.

So instead of going to AirWalk, we're all going out to eat after church to either Slice or Stix, and a good time will be had by all...

Because as Roxie so accurately put it, "The important thing is we are all together."

Yes.

Yes, it is.

Have a lovely weekend. I'll be back Tuesday with some really good fun Fall ideas for you and yours and many, many pics. (It is easier to take pictures on the weekends for some reason. All that will change when Basketball season begins.)

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter