Friday, July 3, 2015

Weekend Happenings, Pinterest Stuff (Summer Boredom Busters) AND 4th of July Stuff

Good Friday morning!

MISCELLANEOUS #1 - My baby sister had a birthday... and it was a biggie. Bev turned 50 last week. I must report, she did not handle it very well.

However, in her defense, all of my guys thought she was turning 40, and they were shocked and dismayed when I corrected them.

I hope she takes a little consolation from that major compliment.

I know I would have loved people thinking I was ten years younger... but that didn't happen.

Heavy, heavy sigh.


Bev, Brad and Stephanie.


Tommy, Bev and Mikie.

MISCELLANEOUS #2 - The much anticipated Day Trip did not happen as planned. (Why am I always surprised?)

But Mike and I made the best of it.

On Saturday, we went to a new-to-us restaurant called BYOB (Build Your Own Burger). It is located across from Slice.

I have a few things to say about BYOB...

1. Mike and I went on Saturday for lunch. It was the perfect time to go. It is a very small place, and a bar takes up most of the space. At night, it would most definitely have a bar atmosphere.

However, while Mikie and I were there, it was just a nice little lunch place.

2. The burgers, sandwiches and sides (extra crispy fries and onion straws) are EXCELLENT. There are a lot of "different and unique" items to choose from on the menu, and the people who worked there were extremely nice.

3. We will most definitely go there again for a lunch date.

After we ate, we headed to the Dollar Movie to see Insurgent. For some reason, I thought I had already seen it, but I was mistaken. Mike and I both needed to have re-read the books before going, because I think we were a little lost.

NOTE - The second in a series of three or four movies does NOT need to be shown 18 months after the first movie is shown.

Preferably, a week or two between movies would be best, but a year is the absolute MOST a movie franchise should wait when a story is being told.

After a year and a half, not only can I not remember the book OR the first movie, but I am not personally invested in the characters any longer.

I know.

I am shallow.

Mike and I called it a day after the movie, but after church and lunch on Sunday, we headed down to Clanton to Peach Park for a visit.

As luck would have it, they were having a Community Concert to raise money for a family in the area, so there were a lot of people sitting around in rocking chairs listening to live music.

We joined them as we enjoyed our ice cream.

We did all of the things we like to do at Peach Park (rocked, swung, walked, bought peaches, took a bathroom break, etc.) and headed home.

Although I missed the Day Trip, I liked how we did fun stuff Saturday AND Sunday.

And the ice cream.

I really, really liked the ice cream.

MISCELLANEOUS #3 - As you all probably know, a couple of years ago, we started a new tradition. Since the kids are all grown (practically), we wanted to have a time set aside each and every Summer where everyone could try to come together (at least for a day or two) and relax and have fun.

We chose a Lake Vacation.

I used VRBO to find a lake house on Guntersville for our first ever Lake Vacation, and it was great...

But it didn't have everything we wanted as a "growing bigger" family.

















Although we had fun, I decided to find a Lake House we could revisit year after year after year.

That way, Mikie and the boys would be familiar with the area and know where the best fishing spots were from summer to summer.

I thought I had found the perfect place on Lake Logan Martin, BUT two days before our get-away, I received a call from the owner saying it was no longer available because of some "house problems" left by the last renter.

He was super kind and apologetic.

He returned our money.

And I got busy.

The house we found to be available had a great covered deck/outside area, but it was not the "growing" house I felt we needed.

Lake Vacation #2









Lake Vacation #3

Although this year's trip has yet to be taken, I'm looking forward to this new place...

And I think it might fit our needs for the next several years.

At least, I hope so!








Pinterest Stuff

Summer Boredom Busters

1. Draw targets on a fence or sidewalk with chalk and use squirt guns to “erase” them.

2. Add a little summer cheer by leaving chalk notes around the neighborhood.

3. Draw a map. Make a real map showing your home or neighborhood or dream up a location (and make sure to mark where you’ll find buried treasure). Crinkle up the page, rip the edges, and smudge it with dirt to make it look authentic.

4. Use toothpicks and mini marshmallows to make a skyscraper.

5. Hold a Lego creating contest. Each person gets a stack of random Legos. A theme is chosen (house, person, fish, etc.). Everyone must use what they have to make the best representation of the theme. Mom gets to judge.

Weekend Happenings

This little section of the blog is going to consist of the activities I have planned for our 4th of July Celebration.

I gave everyone the following invitation (in red, white and blue, of course):

4TH OF JULY PAR-TAY
Celebrating the 4th AND Grandmother’s Birthday

When - Saturday, July 4
Where - Mike and Belinda’s House
Time - 11:00 - 3:00 or 4:00

Menu -

Barbecue Sliders w/Fixins
Baked Potatoes
Birthday Cake
Homemade Ice Cream
Patriotic Smoothies

Activities -

Horseshoes
Cornhole
Yard Darts
Spike Ball
Sprinkler Station

Prize for the Best Patriotic Garb. Everyone gets to cast a vote for the person they think is “dressed the best.” (You cannot vote for yourself! Duh!)

And the prize is a free Car Wash! ($5 Value)

It's going to be a "retro" or "classic" 4th!

And if it rains...

Checkers, dominoes and card games INSIDE.

Always, ALWAYS have a Plan B!

Quote of the Day from Benjamin Franklin - “Be ye there, or be ye square!”

And one of my favorite 4th of July pics...


Stephanie, Grandmother and Brad!

I hope you and yours have a wonderful, wonderful 4th of July. Stay safe, and I'll talk to you next Friday.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

Site Meter